How to work or cope up with co workers or colleagues who are annoying in any aspect is one of the most challenging tasks for people in almost every industry. People grow up and study from different walks of life and develop some habits or characters which can be disturbing for their colleagues at work place. If the person is your subordinate, you can correct him at once or give him suggestions or warning for improvement in his behavior. In case he or she is your boss then you seem to be helpless in finding a solution to the problem. But once you take note of the peculiar habit of any of your co workers and are not very comfortable with the same, working at that place can be frustrating for you in the longer run. If you have the courage to speak and the person in focus is receptive then only there is a point in getting into a discussion of the same otherwise you should find out some ways so that it does not affect your proficiency at work place.
Some of these irritating habits can be talking excessively and loudly on mobile phones during working hours ,eating every now and then throughout the day, unnecessarily noticing your work or emails you do, or discussing their personal lives irrespective of your interest into the same.
- The best solution of the above problem is to turn a deaf ear towards it and make yourself indifferent to the same; otherwise the more you think about the same the more you might get disturbed with it. Because these things can be anywhere in life, e.g travelling in a train or in your own family gatherings. Sometimes, this can really make you uncomfortable so training yourself to ignore such things which are trying to threaten your peace of mind will definitely help you during all walks of life, be it your personal, professional or social circle.
- Developing tolerance to the situations or persons around you will make you a better person and motivate you to remain towards objectives of life. Yoga in the morning or work out in the gym will boost your physical and mental stamina and will strengthen your integrity and offer you peace of mind.
- Once you take note of the thing that irritates you and feel that you are not very comfortable with this anymore, then try to be little more polite and tell him/her straight forward that you generally get disturbed by this and your efficiency also suffers because of this. But before you speak to him/her about the same, you must have a fair idea of the reaction you can face. If that person is cooperative and understanding, then this will be the best case otherwise may be a bit more difficult for you to face once he/she is stubborn and unable to change the behavior.
- If talking directly to the person is not comfortable for you, you can speak to your superiors in the office and get the problem solved. They definitely will try to sort it out because something which is affecting your working efficiency is going to affect their objectives too as you are in their team.
- You can get your cubicle or cabin changed to some other place, which will be the best solution for the problem. Because ultimately the objective of the company is to use the human resources in the optimum manner respecting their convenience and comfort too, they will be doing their best to take you out of this situation.
- Most importantly, if you are a female and the colleague is deliberately trying to discomfort you in any way, then you must stand up and speak to the highest placed authorities in your organization, in order to put a control on such behavior. Your inaction may prompt the person further in crossing limits with you or trying the same with someone else too. If possible then talk to some other female staff in the company and make them aware too about his misconducts.